Hi, I'm Torrey. Welcome to Left Field, where creativity runs amok and imagination is ALWAYS more important than knowledge. Shoes are not allowed but ties are optional. This is a repository of snippets from my life out here in Left Field. One never knows what shiny bits of creativity will be found here... cards, scrapbook layouts, photography, poetry, recipes, ponderings, rantings and musings. It could be anything! Life in Left Field is always changing, always real, always ...interesting.

September 8, 2017

Birthday-O-Rama!

Hidy ho, crafty peeps!

Firstly, YES...my blog is still "officially" closed for remodeling. So I guess that makes this an "unofficial" post.

My birthday was yesterday. It came and went, unceremoniously, save the HORRIBLE singing bestowed upon me by my family (that's you--Mom, Richard, Jonathan, Eric and Autumn). In all honesty and fairness, my mother and father-in-law sang beautifully in full harmony, my sister sang a light and bright version of Happy Birthday, Jodi sang a snappy version, and my dad sang Happy Birthday to me in Klingon (yes, you read that right. He sang to me in Klingon)...so I guess that sort of counts as "ceremonius".

I got a wonderful new die from Lawn Fawn from my hubby (I dropped HUGE hints). It's their new shadowbox die. I can't wait to use it! I did make a card for my sister's birthday (hers is 3 days before mine). I used another Lawn Fawn set I have that I love--"Upon a Star".

I tried the "galaxy background" technique that is so popular these days. It was my first attempt at a galaxy. They're really fun! Half way through the process, however, it looked like a HOT MESS. I had my doubts that it would turn out...but whatayaknow. It TOTALLY turned out. There are many different media one can use to create a galaxy background. I used Distress Inks and a dauber for my galaxy. Next time I make one, I think I'll try watercolors. I got a little heavy-handed with the shimmer spray...so it looks almost golden. Next time, I'm gonna leave it off altogether.

So, here is my sister's birthday card. The photo does not do that galaxy justice.

Wanna know the BEST part about this card? It glows in the dark....I know what you're thinking...."SHUT UP!!!" Yep, it totally does. Anyone who knows me, knows about my fascination/obsession with glow-in-the-dark stuff.

Although the sentiment on the outside does NOT glow...the one on the inside does. To make it glow, I used a combo of glow-in-the-dark embossing powder (yeah, there really is such a thing) and glow-in-the-dark paint.

I also decided to forego my usual "Angel Food cake with pink frosting" as a birthday cake (you're shocked, aren't you?). Instead, I made my own birthday cake. I didn't want someone to get me a store-bought cake.

Yuck.

I used a new-to-me recipe (which I totally tweaked out). Let me tell you right now, it was DELICIOUS. The cake is super moist and has such a nice fine crumb. It's velvety smooth. And, my addition of toasted pecans to the frosting was inspired. I snagged the original recipe from my Aunt Susie's FB page (thank you for posting it Susie!)

It looked so yummy, I knew I had to try it. I know my version is better than the original...because...it's MY version. And anyone who has tasted my cooking knows that my version is ALWAYS better (unless it's a recipe from my bestee, Jodi).

(and I'm modest)

Anywho, here is my cake! And yes, the recipe follows.

Pumpkin Dream Cake a la Torrey


Cake:
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • ¼  teaspoon ground ginger
  • ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • ¼  teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 (15 oz) can solid-pack pumpkin
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup milk
 Frosting:
  • 12 oz (1 1/2 packages) cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened
  • 4 teaspoons maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 cup toasted pecan pieces
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Grease 3, 8-inch (or 9-inch) round cake pans and place parchment paper in bottom of each (optional). Set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, dry spices, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla, pumpkin, and vegetable oil. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk.
  4. Divide batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
  5. Cool cakes in pans for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and completely cool on rack.
  6. To toast pecans: Spread on cookie sheet and place under broiler in oven (only takes a minute or less). Toast until fragrant and browned. Watch them like a hawk, they burn easily.
  7. For the frosting: In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until smooth. Beat in maple syrup, vanilla, and cinnamon. Add powdered sugar (1 cup at a time) and beat on low speed until combined, then on high until frosting is smooth. Mix in nuts.
  8. Assemble the 3 layers with a thick layer of frosting in between each layer.  Frost the outside and top with remaining frosting. Store in the fridge.

Thanks for stopping by Left Field! I promise I'll have the redesign finished someday. LOL. Until then,

Stay creative, y'all!

5 comments:

  1. Nice!!!! I love making galaxy backgrounds. So much fun. And I love this stamp/die set too. I think I will use your glow in the dark technique next time instead of the chibi lights. :) Your cake looks delicious but I want to pretend summer is still here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card! Happy Birthday again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are making this cake when you get here.....sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUUUUUMMMMMmmmm that Cake is calling my name!! And your rebuilding of this BLOG makes me want to hire you to do mine too! PLZ oh PLZ oh plz?? W/Sugar on it and a cherry on top?? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! It is always wonderful to get virtual pats on the back!! I truly appreciate every comment...they are little bits of love.